Monday, May 2, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance(s)


Yes, I admit it, we spent several hours on Friday sitting in front of the TV, watching The Wedding.  I loved The Dress, the hats, the uniforms, the Abbey full of people dressed in odd outfits they would wear on no other occasion, and the idea that this couple, unlike the one I also watched 30 years ago, knew and liked each other, had lived together, slept together, fought and made up together.    I hope they'll be happy together.


Later that day I happened to be near the Pont de l'Alma, where a copy of the flame on the Statue of Liberty has become a de facto shrine to Princess Diana.  Floral tributes and pictures of Diana and William had been left there, but I think it's interesting that there were no photos of Kate Middleton.  It was as if the Diana loyalists wanted to keep William free for his still-young-in-their-minds mother.  Odd.

No comments: